The Citizen Police Academy is open to those who live, work, and play in and around the Goldsboro community. Priority participation is given to residents of the City of Goldsboro. The program’s minimum age for participation is 18 years old; there is no maximum age. A criminal history will be conducted on all applicants to assist in determining eligibility for the program. While having criminal charges on your record will not automatically exclude you from participation, felony convictions will disqualify an applicant from participating in the program.
Between 18 and 24 participants will be selected for each academy session. Applicants who are accepted to participate in the Academy will be notified approximately two weeks prior to the first class. Once an Academy class is full, those applicants found to be eligible for participation will be placed on a waiting list for attendance in the next class. All applicants will be notified whether or not they have been selected to attend the Academy. Please turn in only the application portion; retain the information packet for your records. Applications must be notarized. Applications should be turned in at or mailed to the Goldsboro Police Department to the attention of Capt. Trey Ball or Sgt. Jason Adams.
Generally, classes will be held at the Goldsboro Police Department in downtown Goldsboro. However, there will be class topics that will require the class to meet at other locations. You will be informed which classes will be in a different location, where that location is, and provided with directions prior to that class meeting.
Cell Phones and Electronic Devices
Please ensure these items are turned off or placed on silent mode before class starts to limit distractions and interruptions.
- You are encouraged to attend all classes. The first class is mandatory as other guidelines and information will be discussed, and an overview of the program provided. If you miss this class, you will not be allowed to attend any other classes for that Academy session. You may reapply to attend a future session.
- In order to receive a graduation certificate from the Academy, you can miss no more than one class per Academy session. You may elect to make-up this missed class during a future Academy session.
- We understand that things happen and that you may have to miss more than one class. Should you miss two or more classes, you will be required to attend a future session on the topic missed to make-up the class in order to be awarded your certificate of completion.
- Classes begin promptly at 6:00pm. Please arrive early to avoid interrupting the class.
- Your questions are welcome; however, please ensure they pertain to the topic being discussed. Please do not belabor a question once it has been answered, but be willing to ask follow-up questions. If you need further explanation, make a note to ask the instructor during break or at the end of class.
- Respect the questions of others in the class and give them time to ask their questions.
- Again, if you are not satisfied with a question or would like additional information on a topic than was covered during class, make a note and follow-up with the instructor later.
Your input is valuable. Please complete an evaluation form for EACH class. This information is a vital part of our program to let us know what we are doing well and how we can improve our Academy.
Food and Drink
- Several local restaurants have partnered with us and have donated food items to be available to you prior to the beginning of each Academy class.
- This food and drink will be available for you at 5:30pm each class session. Please arrive early to allow time to eat before class starts. Note: The food provide is not a full “sit-down” meal, rather heavy hors d’oeuvre-type selections.
- Food and drink are allowed in the classroom, but please take caution to prevent spills. Drink and snack machines are available at the police department.
- Each Academy participant will have the opportunity to participate in the police department’s Ride-Along Program; however, this is not a required component of the Academy curriculum. You may opt to not ride if you so choose.
- Initially, each participant may participate in only one ride-along. Depending on the level of interest, additional opportunities may be available.
- If you do choose to participate in the Ride-Along Program, please plan to stay late after the first session so that we can discuss time & date options for you to participate. Additional information about the program will be provided at that time.