The Goldsboro Police Department is proud to offer the Citizen Police Academy program to the residents of Goldsboro and surrounding communities. We hope that you find the Academy to be very informative and eye-opening, and that you have a greater knowledge of the Goldsboro Police Department once completing the program. The mission of our Academy is to teach citizens about the philosophy, policies, and guiding principles of law enforcement and the ethical conduct governing police services in the community. It will give citizens an appreciation for the problems and challenges facing law enforcement.
The goals of the Goldsboro Police Department’s Citizen Police Academy are to:
- Build a stronger relationship between the community and the police department
- Create a better understanding of police functions by members of the public
- Provide the public with the opportunity for feedback and suggestions
- Increase community support and awareness about police operations through education and the exchange of ideas
- Create responsible, well-informed citizens who influence public opinion on police practices and services
We thank you for your interest in our program. If selected to attend an Academy session, we encourage your interaction with police personnel as you will have to opportunity to ask questions, and offer comments, ideas, and solutions throughout the program. The Citizen Police Academy is a 9-week course with classes held weekly from 6:00pm – 9:00pm. There will be basic classroom instruction, presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on exercises offered each week for eight weeks. On the ninth week, the program concludes with a graduation ceremony.