School Resource Officer
Goldsboro Police Department’s three School Resource Officers are certified law enforcement officers who are permanently assigned to provide coverage to Goldsboro High School, Wayne School of Engineering, Dillard Middle School, Greenwood Middle School, Eastern Wayne Middle School, Meadow Lane Elementary, Carver Heights Elementary, Edgewood Developmental School, North Drive Elementary and School Street Elementary School.
The SRO is specifically trained to perform three roles:
- Law enforcement officer
- Law-related counselor
- Law-related education teacher
The SRO is not a security guard, or officer who has been placed temporarily in a school in response to a crisis situation, but rather acts as a comprehensive resource for his school.
Duties of the School Resource Officer
- To prevent juvenile delinquency through close contact with students and school personnel.
- To establish liaison with school principals, faculty, and students.
- To establish and maintain liaison between School Security. personnel and other SROs assigned to school campuses.
- To inform the students of their rights and responsibilities as lawful citizens.
- To provide liaison between students and social agencies which provide needed services.
- To act as a liaison resource to the principal in investigating criminal law violations occurring in the school or on school property.
- To assist administration and faculty in formulating criminal justice programs.
- To formulate educational crime prevention programs to reduce the opportunity for crimes against persons and property in the schools.
- To participate in the Parent Teacher Association meetings, as requested.
- To participate in campus activities, student organizations, and athletic events when invited and feasible.
- To be aware at all times of the responsibility to improve the image of the uniformed law enforcement officer in the eyes of the students and the community.
Keeping our children safe has always been a priority for the Goldsboro Police Department. The School Resource Officer program was developed to keep our schools safe for the students, for the parents, for us all.